A quick homemade immersion blender Sriracha Mayo Dipping Sauce for your favorite fries, fritters or veggies. This spicy mayo dipping sauce is creamy, delicious and made from scratch.
Tips and Tricks
What do you serve with spicy mayo? I originally made this recipe for my Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters to use as a dipping sauce. However, I also love it as a dipping sauce for tater tots or fries, roasted vegetables like broccoli or as a spread on sandwiches or burgers. You could also dip other types of fritters or crab cakes into the sauce as well. It’s so creamy that I found that I just kind of add it to everything.
How do you store homemade mayo? Store homemade mayo in the fridge in an airtight container like a mason jar for three to four days.
Why is the jar size important? Your jar or container that you’re using to make the sauce in must be just big enough for the head of the immersion blender to fit inside it. However, it can’t be too big or the egg, mustard and lime juice will be spread out too much to reach the blade. If these ingredients don’t reach the blade, the mixture won’t combine with the oil.
How much mayo does this make? This recipe makes about a cup of mayo.
What is sriracha? My favorite type of sriracha sauce is from the California brand, Huy Fong Foods, and has the red sauce with a green top and chicken on the bottle. This sauce is a chile hot sauce made with garlic, salt, vinegar and sugar. However, sriracha can also refer to a lot of hot sauces that are originally from Thailand. There are many different brands of sriracha sauce, use your favorite or whatever hot sauce is in the house!
Can you use another type of hot sauce? Yes! You can definitely use any type of hot sauce you like from a local (to me!) favorite Barry’s Hot Sauce to your more widely distributed favorites like Cholula or Valencia. No two hot sauces are the same, so use what you prefer. You may have to adjust the amount used for your tastes depending on the flavor and heat of the hot sauce you use. Start with just a little and keep tasting until it’s spicy and flavorful enough for you.
Can you make this with prepared mayo? If you don’t have an immersion blender or don’t want to make mayo, you can mix hot sauce with store bought mayo but know that the flavor and texture won’t be the same. It will work in a pinch, but the homemade mayo is much creamier.
How do you make homemade spicy mayo? In a jar slightly bigger than the head of your immersion blender combine a whole egg, fresh lime juice and dijon mustard. Next, pour oil on top and allow it to settle for 15-20 seconds.
Place the head of the immersion blender on the bottom of the jar. Turn the blender on high but do NOT pulse or move. Allow mayo to form. As the mayo forms slowly move the blender head up until it has emulsified completely. Mix in Sriracha hot sauce and kosher salt to taste.
Do you have to use an immersion blender to make this recipe? An immersion blender is the easiest way to get a good emulsion for the mayo. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can try making it in a small food processor. Start by adding the egg, lime juice and dijon mustard and combine that together. Scrape down the sides and then slowly stream in the oil until well emulsified. It’s important to go slow here. You can then season with salt and sriracha to your liking.
What to do if my mayo won’t combine? If your mayo won’t combine you can start again or allow the mixture to separate again so the oil is on top. Make sure the mustard, egg and lime juice reach the blades by adjusting what size vessel you use. It is also important that the oil is mostly undisturbed on the top and you slowly pull the hand blender up.
Can I cut this recipe in half? No, unfortunately you cannot cut this recipe in half. You can double or triple the recipe but not make less. The reason is because it is important that the mixture of egg, mustard, lime juice must reach the blades of the hand blender. If those ingredients do not reach the blades it won’t come together at all.
Inspired by 2 Minute Mayo from Serious Eats.
You May Also Like
Sriracha Mayo Dipping Sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- In a jar or vessel slightly larger than the head of your immersion blender combine a whole egg, fresh lime juice and dijon mustard. It is important that the blades are able to reach this mixture.
- Pour oil on top and allow it to settle for 15-20 seconds.
- Place the head of the immersion blender so it sits on the bottom of the jar. Turn the blender on high but do NOT pulse or move. Allow mayo to form.
- As the mayo forms slowly move the blender head up until it has emulsified completely. Once the mayo has started to form, you can move the blender up and down a bit to completely mix.
- Mix in Sriracha hot sauce and kosher salt to taste.
- Use a dipping sauce or sandwich spread.
- Make sure the egg, lime juice and mustard can reach the blades or your mixture won’t combine properly. I use the vessel that came with my hand blender.
- Store this in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
- Use any hot sauce you want, but it may take more or less hot sauce depending on your preferences.
- A hand blender or immersion blender are the preferred appliances to make this recipe as it combines easier than in a food processor.