The best thing about this is that the ingredients are easy to find and simple to put together. A great dessert to bring to the holidays for a novice baker. No bake cherry pie travels well and can be made ahead of time (like the night before) a big event or holiday. Great for those hot summer nights when you don’t want to turn the oven on or to enjoy with loved ones for a special occasion.
Tips and Tricks
When do you serve this pie? This is a family favorite recipe so we often have it at all of the major holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. It’s also something I’ve made for office potlucks, birthday parties or to bring to a friend's house. It’s very simple to make with only a few easy to find ingredients and travels really well.
This no bake cherry pie isn’t just for the holidays, it’s a great summer time dessert. No bake desserts are ideal when you don’t want to turn the oven on and heat up the house. Just be sure to store it in the fridge before you set it out and don’t leave it out in the sun.
What do you serve this pie with? This pie is an easy make ahead dessert that goes great with any dinner party. It’s perfect for a more elaborate dinner because it can be made ahead the day before and stored in the fridge until you’re ready to serve dessert. It really goes great as a sweet treat at the end of any meal.
How do you store this pie? Store this pie covered in the fridge for up to four days. Truthfully, it’s never lasted that long in our house.
How many people does this pie serve? This pie is a nine inch standard pie. It serves six to eight people very easily. Because it is a rich and decadent pie, a little bit goes a long way.
- Cream cheese - full fat is preferable
- Granulated white sugar - other types of sugar will result in an off texture and flavor
- Cool Whip - There really isn’t a substitute for this except for store brand
- Vanilla - no need for the expensive stuff here
- Graham cracker crust - store bought, usually Keebler (affiliate link) or store brand, NO CRACKS if you can avoid it
- Canned cherry pie filling - Any brand will work but my favorites are Comstock or Lucky Leaf
See recipe card for specific quantities.
What size graham cracker crust do you use? I always buy a nine ounce, ten inch pre-made pie crust. I just buy whatever it is at the store and try to avoid it being cracked.
How do you make no bake cherry pie? Start by adding softened, full fat cream cheese and white sugar into a large mixing bowl. Using either a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together until smooth and then add all of the Cool Whip. Mix well and then add in vanilla.
Next, pour about ¾th of the cream cheese filling into the graham cracker crust and smooth out. On top of the cream cheese filling, add the entire can of cherry pie filling and spread almost to the edges. Add the rest of the cream cheese mixture and place the cover on. Allow to set in the fridge for at least four hours but preferably overnight, it’s better the next day.
Do you really need to let it rest before serving? It will taste fine if you serve it immediately after preparing it, but the consistency will be runny. This no bake dessert tastes best the next day after it’s set in the fridge overnight. If you’re in a hurry, it can be made and set in the fridge for four hours before serving.
Hint: Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature so the filling mixes easily and comes out smoothly.
Can you make this less decadent with fat free cream cheese or less sugar? This recipe is a decadent dessert. It’s meant to be a rich, creamy and sweet comforting dessert served to friends and loved ones at a cookout, after a big holiday meal, birthday parties or at the end of an office potluck.
The recipe will work with those replacements but won’t taste as good. If you’re concerned, I’d look for another dessert.
If you don’t like cherries or want to mix it up you can use other fruit canned pie fillings
If you don’t want to use graham cracker crust, use a store bought pre-made crust
Mix and match the variations to create something new!
Can you do this in a stand mixer? You can use a hand mixer, a stand mixer or even probably do it by hand. It’s a very forgiving recipe!
Allow the pie to set for at least four hours before serving but preferably overnight. It’ll taste better and be easier to serve.
No Bake Cherry Pie
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 16 oz Cool Whip defrosted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 oz 10 inch graham cracker crust
- 21 oz can cherry pie filling
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer on low to medium, cream together cream cheese and white sugar until smooth.
- Next add in the entire Cool Whip container and combine into the cream cheese mixture until smooth.
- Mix in vanilla. Next, pour ¾ of the cream cheese mixture into the graham cracker crust and spread evenly to the edges.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with the entire can of cherry pie filling. Spread the cherry pie filling almost to the edges of the cream cheese mixture, but allow the cream cheese mixture to peek through at the edges.
- Finally, top the cherry pie filling with the rest of the cream cheese mixture and spread gently, but do not completely cover the cherry.
- Add the cover and allow to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Cut and serve once set.
Notes and Accommodations
- Use softened cream cheese to avoid lumps in the final cream cheese mixture.
- This recipe tastes best with full fat cream cheese and canned cherry pie filling, it’s nostalgic and delicious.
- Allow the pie to set at least for 4 hours in the fridge, but overnight is preferred, it’s better the next day.
- Store leftover pie in the fridge, covered for up to 4 days.
Originally posted June 21, 2020. Updated with better photos and information on September 14, 2022.
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat or seafood
- Wash hands after touching raw meat or seafood
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove