How do you make shredded buffalo chicken in a pressure cooker? Place four to six boneless skinless chicken thighs in the pressure cooker and cover it with one cup of buffalo sauce. Seal the pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes on high (25 minutes if frozen) and do a quick release after 5-10 minutes. Shred with a wooden spoon and set pressure cooker to saute/brown to allow the sauce to reduce 2-3 minutes. Stir and serve shredded buffalo chicken.
How long does it take in the pressure cooker to make shredded chicken? It takes 20 minutes to cook chicken thighs so they are easy to shred. Some recipes call for less time but I find the chicken harder to shred at those times. At 20 minutes the chicken is very tender and shreds very easily. Once the timer goes off, it is best to wait 5-10 minutes before you do a quick release of the pressure.
How do you know when the chicken thighs are done cooking? The chicken is done cooking once it is very easy to shred with even just a wooden spoon.
If you add more chicken thighs to this recipe do you increase the cook time? If you really load up the pot with five pounds of chicken thighs, you might need to increase the time a bit. However, if you’re only adding a few more it should be totally fine to leave at 20 minutes of high pressure cook time.
If you add more chicken thighs to this recipe do you increase the amount of buffalo sauce? I would say that for every four to six thighs add another cup of buffalo sauce to make sure that you have plenty of sauce to coat all the chicken. But if you’re cooking five instead of four chicken thighs, it will be fine to use one cup of buffalo sauce.
Can you use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs? Chicken breasts have less fat and therefore are more likely to dry out. Therefore, you can use them but I’d add an extra ¼ cup of buffalo sauce per pound of chicken breasts. I use boneless skinless chicken thighs because they are more flavorful than chicken breasts and less likely to overcook and dry out.
Tips and Tricks
Can you make shredded buffalo chicken in a slow cooker? Yes! If you do not have a pressure cooker or you want to let it cook while you’re at work, you can use the same amount of chicken and buffalo sauce in the slow cooker. Cook on high for four to six hours or on low for eight to ten hours. Shred the chicken thighs and stir into the buffalo sauce and allow to cook for another 30 minutes on high. However, you should always thaw chicken before cooking it in a slow cooker.
What do you serve with shredded buffalo chicken? I like to eat shredded buffalo chicken as my main meal prep protein with a side of roasted vegetables or rice. It’s also great on salads to make a healthier version of a breaded buffalo chicken salad. It’s perfect on pizza, nachos or in Three Cheese Buffalo Chicken Dip (or the Halloween version!)
Can you use bone in and skin on chicken thighs? You definitely can, although the cook time might be a little longer with the bone in version. I am not a fan of picking out bones and I don’t like how rubbery the skin gets in the pressure cooker. If neither of those things bother you, you can definitely use that type of chicken thighs. Or you can debone and remove the skin after it’s been cooked.
Can you use frozen chicken thighs to make shredded buffalo chicken? Yes!!!!!!!! One of the best things about this recipe is that you can make it quickly from the freezer. To make the chicken thighs from frozen, add five minutes to the cook time. I love this recipe because I always keep frozen chicken thighs in the house to have a quick meal prep option or protein for a salad.
What brand of buffalo sauce do you use? I always buy Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing sauce because I like the flavor and I don’t need to add anything to it. It’s an easy and cheap condiment to keep in the house, but feel free to use your favorite.
Storage and Reheating
How do you reheat shredded buffalo chicken? Since I use this mostly for meal prep or as protein for a salad, I just reheat it in a glass bowl in the microwave until warm. You can reheat it over medium low heat on the stove top as well.
How do you store shredded buffalo chicken? The best way to store shredded buffalo chicken is in the fridge in an airtight container for three to four days. Any longer and I would freeze the already cooked buffalo chicken for up to three months.
How long can you store this meal prep protein? Three to four days in the fridge or up to three months in the freezer.
You May Also Like
- Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Three Chicken Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Chicken and Broccoli Meal Prep
- Brussels Sprouts Meal Prep Salad
Pressure Cooker Shredded Buffalo Chicken
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- Add chicken thighs to pressure cooker and pour over buffalo sauce.
- Seal your pressure cooker according to manufacturer's instructions and ensure the vent is closed. Set pressure cooker to high for 20 minutes and allow to come to pressure.
- Once the cook time is over, release pressure carefully after 5-10 minutes.
- Shred chicken with wooden spoon and stir to coat all the chicken with buffalo sauce. Switch to saute/brown and allow buffalo sauce to reduce for 2-3 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy in your favorite recipe.
- For less chicken thighs always use one cup of buffalo sauce. You need to have at least one cup of liquid in the pressure cooker to build pressure.
- Store in the fridge for three to four days or in the freezer for up to three months.
- To cook chicken thighs from frozen, add five minutes to the cook time.
- To make this in the slow cooker, cook on high for four to six hours or low for eight to ten hours. Shred chicken and then allow to cook for another 30 minutes on high and serve.
- Add ¼ additional cup of buffalo sauce for chicken breasts.