Halloween buffalo chicken dip is a recipe baked in a cast iron skillet. A spooky jack-o-lantern face is added with black tortilla chips making this an easy and festive Halloween party dip. This spicy chicken dip can be made ahead of time making it a great appetizer for a crowd or Halloween party.
How to make buffalo chicken dip? First, make shredded buffalo chicken in the pressure cooker by putting five boneless skinless chicken thighs and one cup of buffalo sauce into a pressure cooker. Set the pressure cooker on high pressure for 20 minutes. After it is done, manually release the pressure carefully. While chicken is cooking, preheat the oven to 375F. Shred ½ cup of fontina cheese and ½ cup of sharp cheddar. Put the cheese mixture into a small mixing bowl. Once the chicken is done cooking, pour the sauce and chicken into a large mixing bowl. Shred the chicken with two forks and then add cream cheese and half the shredded cheese mixture. Mix well to combine. Add into 10 inch cast iron skillet. Top with reminding shredded cheese and crumbled blue cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and the edges are bubbling. Serve with tortilla chips, carrots, celery or baguette slices.
How to make shredded chicken? Pressure Cooker: The fastest way to make shredded chicken is in the pressure cooker. Place five boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts into a pressure cooker with one cup of buffalo sauce. Set the pressure to high for 20 minutes. Manually release the pressure carefully. Put the chicken and all the sauce into a large mixing bowl and shred with two forks.
Slow Cooker: Another option is making the shredded buffalo chicken in a slow cooker for four hours on high or eight hours on low. Shred the chicken after it has been cooked and proceed with the recipe.
Leftover Chicken: Also, if you have leftover cooked chicken you can use that. I sometimes make it after roasting a whole chicken. Use between 1 ½ -2 cup of chicken if you’re doing it this way. Cut the chicken up to a small pieces and toss with buffalo sauce.
When do you add the jack-o-lantern face? You add the chips to the dip after it has come out of the oven and right before you set it out for the party.
Tips and Tricks
Can you make this ahead of time? You can absolutely prep this the day before a Halloween party. Keep the mixture in the fridge in a covered large mixing bowl overnight. RIght before the party starts, add the mixture into the cast iron skillet. Top it with the remaining cheeses and cook it in the oven. You may need to add a few minutes to the cook time because the mixture is coming from the fridge and is colder.
What do you serve with buffalo chicken dip? Tortilla chips, carrots, celery or even toasted baguette pieces are great to serve with buffalo chicken dip.
Do you have to use a cast iron skillet? Cast iron skillets stay warm for a long time. Therefore, it will keep the dip warm longer. However, if you don’t have a cast iron skillet you can use a 10 inch round cake pan or pie plate. The round shape of all of these help give the illusion of a pumpkin.
Where do you find black tortilla chips? Black tortilla chips are usually out around Halloween time. I often see black and orange chips out. However, if you can’t find those, look for black bean tortilla chips. If all else fails you can get blue corn tortilla chips!
What’s the best buffalo sauce? I usually buy Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Wing sauce. This is always in the fridge or pantry. You can definitely you use your favorite sauce as well.
You May Also Like These Halloween Recipes
Halloween Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup shredded fontina cheese
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 oz crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola
- Black tortilla chips
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Place chicken thighs into pressure cooker with buffalo sauce. Set pressure on high for 20 minutes. Once done cooking, carefully release pressure manually.
- Preheat oven to 375 F while chicken is cooking.
- Shred fontina cheese and sharp cheddar and place in a small mixing bowl.
- Once the chicken is done, carefully pour buffalo chicken and all the sauce into a large mixing bowl. Shred the chicken and stir well to combine.
- Add cream cheese and half of the shredded cheese into the large mixing bowl with the chicken.
- Mix well to combine. Make sure there are no large areas of cream cheese.
- Add buffalo chicken mixture into a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Top with the rest of the shredded cheese. Sprinkle the blue cheese evenly over the top and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Buffalo chicken dip is done when the cheese is melted and the edges are bubbling.
- To make the jack-o-lantern face, take 2 whole tortilla chips and place them for the eyes with the point facing up. Break the tip off a 3rd tortilla chip and place it for the nose.
- To make the mouth, break pieces to form a smile. Break 2 tips off a whole tortilla chip for the cheese.
- Place the ships onto the dip right before serving.
- Serve with tortilla chips, toasted bread or vegetables.
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can make shredded buffalo chicken in a slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- You can replace chicken breasts with chicken thighs but add ¼ cup more buffalo sauce.
- Halloween buffalo chicken dip can be made in a 10 inch round cake pan or pie plate.
- To make ahead: place chicken and cheese mixture in a covered mixing bowl in fridge overnight. When ready for the party, place the mixture in the skillet, top with remaining cheeses and cook. You may need to add a few minutes to cooking time.