Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
What do you do if you don’t have or like chicken thighs? You can easily use whatever you prefer. Chicken breasts would work just as well. Use as much or as little as you want, I buy between 1-2 lb packages and use whatever I find. The most important thing is that whatever meat you use is boneless and skinless.
What are some variations for this soup? To make this soup heartier, I like to add black beans and/or cooked rice. To make this soup spicer, add some hot sauce right before you eat it. Toppings are lovely but not necessary. I like to add some shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips right before I serve the soup. The tortilla chips add a nice crunch and texture to the soup, but if you add them too soon, they will get soggy. Cilantro adds some nice freshness and brightens up the dish. another option is avocado, which adds a nice coolness to the soup as well.
Can you freeze this soup? You definitely can, without the toppings. Always add the toppings right before you eat it.
What type of enchilada sauce should you use? I always use red enchilada sauce because that is what we prefer, however it would absolutely work with green or a homemade enchilada sauce.
When should you salt the soup? It depends on the type of stock or broth you use. Either will work and use whatever you favorite brand is or take some out of the freezer. Always salt soup at the end because it has a tendency to boil down. I usually salt mine in the individual bowl so I don’t ruin the whole soup. If you over salt your bowl, just add more broth.
You May Also Like
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle
- Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
- Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 20 oz enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ bag frozen corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese Optional
- cooked rice/black beans Optional
- sour ceam Optional
- tortilla chips Optional
- cilantro Optional
- avocado Optional
- hot sauce Optional
- slices of lime Optional
- Add the chicken, chicken stock, enchilada sauce, garlic, cumin, chili powder and corn all to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir soup together and lightly shred chicken. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Portion out soup and top with desired toppings. Get creative with it!
- Optional: to make the soup more hearty, pour soup over cooked rice and/or beans.
- This soup freezes well without the toppings and added rice and black beans.
- Freeze in lunch size portions as an quick and healthier lunch option than takeout.