Three minute corn on the cob is cooked in the microwave with the husk on. This is method allows you to effortlessly cook corn on the cob and easily remove the husk. Perfect summer side dish for one or two people families.
Tips, Tricks and Substitutions
How many pieces can you do at once? I typically only do one piece of corn at a time for three minutes on high in the microwave. If you want to do more, make sure the pieces are not touching and add one minute to the cook time. I would not do more than three pieces at a time due to space concerns.
How do you get the husk off? To get the husk off you cut the stem of the corn on the cob off with a sharp knife. Then using a towel to hold the husk and push the corn cob out of the husk. It should remove easily and with very little if any silk.
What kind of knife do you use? It is best to use a very sharp chef’s knife or a serrated knife. If you are having a hard time, your knife is probably not sharp enough. The knife should go fairly easily through the cob with pressure.
What do you put on corn on the cob? Really fresh corn on the cob shouldn’t need anything added. However, butter, salt and pepper is a classic. You can also cut the kernels off and make a corn salad like this beef taco pasta salad or this Mexican street corn salad.
Why do you use the microwave? The microwave heats the corn on the cob and creates steam inside the husk. This cooks the corn perfectly without having to wait for a boiling pot of water. This method also makes it very easy to remove the husk and all the silk that comes with it. Simply microwave, cut off the stem and peel back the husk.
How do you handle the hot corn on the cob? Microwaving corn on the cob creates steam, which is very hot. So carefully (with tongs or a towel) remove the corn on the cob from the microwave and allow to rest on a cutting board.
Where do you cut the corn on the cob to get the husk off? You cut off the stem part of the corn on the cob.
How do you buy corn on the cob? The best place to buy corn on the cob is at the farmers market because it will be the freshest. When looking at corn on the cob you want to see moist/sticky tassels (the silk at the top) and avoid any pieces that have dry or black tassels. This means the corn is old. Another thing to look for is that the corn feels plump without any missing kernels inside (don’t peak, that dries it out!) with a brightly colored husk. It is okay if the husk is a little moist on the outside, this means it is very fresh. Finally, avoid any pieces of corn on the cob that have small brown holes in the husks, this could indicate bugs.
How do you store corn on the cob? Like most fresh produce, it is best to eat it as soon as you buy it. However, you can store corn on the cob in the fridge for a few days in a plastic bag. You want to keep the husk on to avoid drying out the kernels. The longer the corn is stored, the more sugar is converted to starch.
How long should you let the corn on the cob rest? It is best to let the corn on the cob rest for at least five minutes until the husk is cooler to the touch. If it is still hot, use a towel to hold the husk while cutting off the stem.
You May Also Like
3 Minute Corn on the Cob
- 1 corn on the cob husk in tact
- Place the corn on the cob (with the husk still oinside the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high.
- Remove from the microwave carefully with a towel or tongs and place on a cutting board. Allow to rest for about 5 minutes until slightly cooled.
- Using a sharp knife (chef knife or serrated knife is best), cut the stem completely off.
- Holding the corn with a towel, starting at the silk end, push out the cob from the husk. The husk should remove easily.
- Top with whatever seasoning you want or cut off the cob and enjoy in a salad.
- Keep the husk on to microwave corn.
- If you want to do more than one piece of corn, make sure they are not touching and add 1 more minute to cook time per each extra piece of corn.
- Do not do more than 3 pieces at once.
- Corn will be hot when it comes out of the microwave, use a towel to handle.